Introduction to the Best Cheap Car Insurance
Looking for the best cheap car insurance? You aren’t alone. Regardless of who you are, or where you live, it stands to reason that you want to find cheap car insurance. While this is important, it should not be your only consideration. When it comes to choosing the best car insurance for your specific needs and lifestyle, there are indeed several things you should keep in mind.
At the same time, we aren’t telling you to not shop around a bit. There is indeed such a thing as paying too much for car insurance. We can make sure you avoid that altogether with our list of the top cheap insurance providers. There just also happens to be several other factors that should define your search. Remember that this is essentially a long-term business/financial arrangement. That alone should drive home how important it is to define your search by more than just the cheapest provider. You may have to sacrifice far too much to get that rate.
Things To Consider When Shopping For Car Insurance
Again, looking for cheap car insurance is completely understandable. We just want to make sure you find the best cheap car insurance opportunity available to you. There are numerous companies out there. Which one is going to be right for you?
Obviously, you want to find a company that will let you get insurance that makes sense for you. This is why we can’t just give you a list of where to find the cheapest car insurance rates. Everyone is different, and this is reflected in their interactions with insurance companies. If you are a safe driver, you are obviously going to get lower rates than someone with a poor driving record would. Certain companies have reputations for offering competitive rates, but those rates are still going to vary from one individual driver to the next.
Obviously, you want to trust things to a company with considerable experience. You want a company that is known for offering straightforward rates. To be sure, you definitely want to trust things to a company that is known for paying clients quickly. Flawless customer service should absolutely be on your list of things to demand. Anything less than these things is a waste of your valuable time and money.
Keeping all of these things in mind, you are now on the right track to find the best cheap car insurance available.
How To Find Cheap Car Insurance
Our advice? Don’t just compare car insurance quotes. Compare the top car insurance companies, as well. That means looking beyond the quote. Remember the old adage about something that can seem like it’s too good to be true? That thought can be applied to car insurance rates, as well.
A number of factors are going to define the range of car insurance quotes you receive. Nonetheless, if you want to purchase the cheapest car insurance possible, your best bet is to go with the minimum required in your state. Obviously, this can vary from one state to the next. Liability-only car insurance is a good way to go, if you literally just want the cheapest car insurance available. Is it the best cheap car insurance? That’s going to depend on you. Most states have liability insurance as the minimum, so make sure you can take advantage of that.
With liability insurance, you have protection with regards to the basics. This type of insurance will include property damage, as well as medical bills required by others from an accident that is your fault. Depending on where you live in the United States, you may be required to get additional/alternative coverage. Personal injury protection is a good example of what we are talking about.
In a broad sense, full coverage insurance tends to be more expensive. It often includes what is known as a deductible. This is a set amount of money that you are going to be responsible for, in the event that you have to file a claim. At the same time, such coverage also gives your car much more in the way of protection. You can be protected against the possibility of theft. You can also be protected in the event of injury or damage, whether it is caused by you, someone else, or even something like a tree branch falling. Many opt for this type of insurance. The logic being that while you may not need it, you’re going to be glad you have it. Cheap car insurance has a bad habit of becoming problematic in the aftermath of an accident. Even a minor one can leave you with massive repair costs and/or hospital bills.
Again, the average rates are going to depend on where you live. If you are looking for the cheapest possible insurance, which means minimums, this is also going to depend on where you live.
What Are The Average Car Insurance Rates In My State?
While we can’t give you an exact national average, we can tell you it’s roughly in the range of $700. This would be for the absolute minimum in car insurance coverage. This doesn’t even get into the subject of the best cheap car insurance.
That average can be dramatically higher in some states. In a few examples, your state average can be lower than $700, but that isn’t something you should necessarily count on. In Delaware, the average annual price for minimal coverage is more than $1200. In Idaho, you can get minimum car insurance coverage at roughly $389. Michigan residents pay an average of nearly $2700 for their car insurance!
We haven’t even touched full coverage yet. The average for full coverage falls somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500. Going back to Michigan, full coverage can run you nearly four grand. In Maryland, it is approximately $1600. Minimal coverage in Nevada can run you about $679. Full coverage extends to more than $1700, making the difference between the two a hefty $1000+.
At this point, we can start to talk about specific companies. While it’s true that your rate can still vary, it is also true that certain companies have good reputations for competitive rates. We would just want to emphasize that you take your search for the best cheap car insurance a bit more deeply than that.
Which Car Insurance Companies Are The Cheapest?
While it is true that there are quite a few car insurance companies out there, keep in mind that just five of them make up more than 55% of the United States. While we would strongly suggest doing your own research on every company available to you, we also think there is some value to be found in starting your search with these five.
The odds of finding your best cheap car insurance among these five are pretty good:
1. Geico: We have all seen the ads about Geico promising they can help you save on their car insurance. More often than not, this seems to be the case. It is highly likely that of all your choices, Geico is going to prove to be the most affordable. They also have a pretty good reputation for customer service and paying claims quickly. Geico also has some great discounts and bonuses for good drivers.
2. State Farm: While Geico has a greater potential to help you save more, a lot of people will tell you that State Farm is better in overall customer satisfaction. State Farm still has some pretty good options for those shopping for cheap car insurance. At the same time, you may find yourself deciding if you are willing to pay a little more for a better experience in the event of an accident.
3. Progressive: This is another example of a national company with a solid reputation where it truly counts. This includes affordability, although they are likely going to be a bit more expensive than what you would find with Geico or Progressive.
4. All State: If you are a really good driver, and your record emphasizes you, All State might just be your best bet. They are a particularly popular carrier with people who are consistently good drivers. If your record is a bit spotty, they can still be pretty affordable, but you are likely going to pay more than a safe driver would.
5. USAA: While USAA is the best cheap car insurance for many, understand that this company only deals with active service military members and their families. If you can meet that basic requirement, you are definitely going to want to check out USAA first. They have a great reputation for affordability, and their customer service rating among military members is extremely high.
Depending on where you live, check out Grange and Erie Insurance. While these companies are not national, they have proven to be quite affordable for the drivers who live in the areas they cover.
Keeping in mind everything we have mentioned above, finding the best cheap car insurance shouldn’t be too difficult. Just make sure to never lose sight of what you need, and what you are willing to pay for.